Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Luve Project Update: Does Not Boast

I make mistakes.  Yes I do.  I heard one coming out of my mouth recently.  It had already escaped before I got a grip on it. 
"Josiah, Samuel finished all of HIS chicken!" 
Comparison. 
One of those things I said I would never do. 
You know, when I knew all about parenting, before I had kids.
 I believe that this kind of comparing,even with little things like eating all your chicken or carrots, can motivate boasting.  It very well could have something to do with the big table boasts these days...
"I finished all of MY noodles." "I didn't spill MY milk."
(insert slapping of my forehead here)
I don't think that comparing my boys with each other is a healthy motivator. 
Galatians 6 says it pretty plain;
"4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load."

Teaching my boys to test their own actions and not compare themselves to someone else can help them to be proud of their work in and of itself, without boasting over someone else.
It can teach them that they are responsible to 'carry their own load' whether someone else does or not.
This week, I was reminded again to carefully guard how I talk to my children.
How are my words affecting them?
Am I helping or hindering their grasp of true love?

This is a healthy, non-boasting "I did it!" pose for the camera...:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment