Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Don't Forget...

Four year-olds can be known to exaggerate.  For example, a new thing our oldest son declares when we don't give in to a 'demand' is; "You ruined my whole day!"  I think maybe he forgot about
the warm, cozy car bed he woke up in,
the cartoons we let him watch in the morning,
the breakfast we made him (and let him eat while watching cartoons),
the wrestling with daddy before work, at lunch time and after work,
the trillions of toys at his disposal,
the lunch we made him,
the milk (with strawberry sauce added..yikes..)
the giggling with mama,
the answering of his gazillion questions,
the sandbox in our backyard,
the walk to the park...
I think he forgot about it all when we said he couldn't have another chocolate cookie.

And as four year-oldish as that sounds...I do the same thing.

I forget about
a mother holding me close,
being carried on my dad's shoulders,
young friends,
Sunday school songs,
still water reflecting the sunset,
soft breezes full of pine,
sun warmed bricks at a college,
cornfields and meadows,
a first love letter from the man who would be my husband,
blinking newborn eyes...

Sometimes I forget about all God's dealings in my life just because I have one bad day.

The Israelites did the same thing.  Psalm 106 reminds us of all God had done to set the Israelites free from slavery then it goes on to say this;

"13 They soon forgot his works; they waited not for his counsel:

14 But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tempted God in the desert.

15 And he gave them their request; but sent leanness into their soul."

Matthew Henry write this in his commentary on Psalm 106; "Those who forget the works of God forget God himself, who makes himself known by His works."

The more I forget about what He has done, the further I seem to be from Him. 
I want to allow thankfulness to bring me even closer to His heart. 
Don't forget what He's done friends. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment