Sunday, September 11, 2011

One of Those Days


Last week I had one of those days. You know - the kind where your bundle of joy kept waking you every two hours the night before, your two older bundles of joy insist on making you a referee every 1.5 minutes, the laundry is still waiting to be folded, hubby can't make it home for the elaborate meal you prepared (well..frozen meatballs anyway), the dog wants out AGAIN, and you've put the same toy in the toy box exactly three hundred and twenty-three times. You know - one of those days. I think I cried twice.
I believe it was in the midst of one of the crying spells that I had a little epiphany. I had a choice in the midst of these moments. I could crush Ming-Ming the Wonder Pet under my heel and never have to pick her up again or I could gently remind oldest son to put her back when he's finished the latest imaginary adventure.
I used to think that "taking up your cross", just referred to what our brothers and sisters in foreign countries are doing when they are thrown in prison, taken from their family, harmed and even killed for their faith in Jesus. I sometimes feel unworthy to carry this name "Christian" when I think about their "cross". But I think Jesus reminded me that He has put me here in this place, for this time. Carrying my cross may not mean bearing physical harm but it may mean beating down my pride to say "I'm sorry" to my husband. It may mean silencing little nagging thoughts of bitterness that try to pop up. It may mean smothering harsh words with gentleness when dealing with my children. It may even mean letting Ming-Ming the Wonder Pet have yet another adventure. When I see my everyday struggles as an opportunity to bear a cross for Jesus, they take on new meaning. They are an opportunity for God to perfect His work in me. I pray that every toy, runny nose, fighting toddler, sleepless night and lukewarm meatball will give you the occasion to grow closer to Him.
Blessings friends.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it." Mark 8:34-35

0 comments:

Post a Comment